Wednesday, August 1, 2012

News from the Wild West

Dear Community,

It’s been a wild and nonstop ride since my tour through Europe and my recent move to Santa Fe, New Mexico. But here we are, Joshua and I, slowly getting settled in.

A friend of mine mentioned a parable when both Joshua and I were a bit overwhelmed: “Do you know how the monkey eats the elephant? One bite at a time.” As usual, I got my metaphors mixed up and said to my husband: “Let’s just deal with one elephant at a time.” And that pretty much sums it up.

Life is harsher out here compared to the Bay Area, but also more beautiful and real, and that matters to me at this point in my life. I can’t keep talking about sustainability without actually walking my talk. So here it goes!

There was a rattlesnake on the porch the other day, there are water issues because of the dryness, and I have to keep an eye on the dog at all time so she (or I for that matter) doesn’t end up as a snack to a large predator. I talk to all the beings on the land when I walk by, but also carry a large handmade knife Joshua gave me for my birthday! For me, it is a deep inquiry away from the hustle and bustle, to find out what really matters to me, what fulfills me and what happiness actually looks like, to me.

I love Santa Fe and when I am in town, I get the sense of deep roots and a long history of peoples living in harmony with the land. I am loving the seasons again, the fact that there is a hot summer followed by fall and winter, bringing such rich diversity and perspective to life. I love practicing in the heat, as it feels as though I can go deeper into my practice. The insights come as I move my body according to the breath and nature.

Yesterday I realized that I am removed from all the teachers I have ever had: my time with Anusara and John Friend has come to an end, and I am also very far away now from my primary teacher, Jack Kornfield. And I realized that I no longer require my teachers to be close by at this time. I have been showered with teachings and blessings for the last 3 decades, I have all the tools I need and now is the time to just let it all sink in as I do my practices in solitude. For the time being, I am no longer a seeker but instead have been found!

Tahira, a gifted visionary from Germany, predicted that I will pick up some purely feminine wisdom during my time here. And I realized, with surprise, that I haven’t had a female teacher for a very long time. It’s time.

I will start teaching two classes at Spandarama Yoga in Santa Fe in the beginning of August. I received an incredibly warm and generous welcoming by the community here and I am just so grateful for that. One of those classes will be recorded and offered on my website, so that anyone who so desires can listen in. There will be a donation system set up – similarly to the Dharma offerings at Spirit Rock for folks who wish to contribute. It’s all a big adventure, but as my wise husband said: “It was time to shake it up!”

My teacher training, starting in the fall in San Francisco, is already full. But there is a waiting list as people may still be drop out before it starts. You can contact aud@yogakula.com if you are interested in participating.

In October and November, I will be once again in Europe for workshops and classes – mostly in Zurich and Amsterdam. I will keep you posted as we get closer.

May you all be blessed with the time to inquire what really matters for you in this lifetime.

Wishing you a beautiful summer,

Katchie Ananda

No comments:

Post a Comment